December 18, 2008
As 2008 draws to a close, top lists and rankings begin to make the press. I’m always interested in some of the least expected rankings. The 10 Biggest Technology Surprises for 2008 is worth a read.
Be sure to check out the slideshow to learn why these shocking stories made the list.
1. Windows crumbles. Not!
2. Tech couldn’t stop the financial meltdown
3. Virtualization. It’s alive!
4. Cloud computing
5. Green IT
6. Apple as the enterprise champion
7. Forget innovation, let’s just buy something. (remember Microsoft and Yahoo?)
8. The big switch or the big snitch?
9. The social net election.
10. The Internet.
February 15, 2008
Yesterday I reblogged the Pew Internet & American Life Project biggest technology predictions for 2008.
I came across the five fastest growing technologies from CIO Insight Editors today.
1. Viritualization (servers and storage)
2. Customer self-service techologies and applications
3. Open-source applications and systems
4. Collaboration software
5. Storage equipment
View the slides here.
February 14, 2008
Pew Internet & American Life Project has released their biggest technology predictions for 2008.
Here are the five key trends to watch:
1. Technology goes green
2. Evolution of the PC
3. Cell phone industry expansion
4. The web slows down
5. Social networks adapt
December 9, 2007
Is the paperless society here yet?
A recent presentation from the Pew Internet Project suggests that the “paperless society” is far out into the future. Both the convergence of display technologies and user behaviour have a huge impact on the future demand for print materials.
“People still go to libraries, and in fact library visits have been on the rise in recent
years. On a per capita basis, visits to public libraries rose by 25% from 1990 to
2003. Although libraries are increasingly digitizing information, the research
community, at least, likes to have hard copy and digital archives.”
September 28, 2007
My RSS newsreader is full of more great “top something” reads.
Richard MacManus at Read/WriteWeb recently highlighted 10 future web trends.
10 Web trends to look out for over the next 10 years include:
- semantic web
- artificial intelligence
- virtual worlds
- mobile web
- attention economy
- web sites as web services
- online video / internet tv
- rich internet apps
- international web
If the list isn’t futuristic enough for you, Richard has added 10 more future web trends submitted by his readers:
- Integration into everyday devices
- Data retrievel/manipulation agents
- Read/Write/Request Web (a.k.a. a “living machine agent”)
- User-controlled, open Internet Identity
- New forms of Internet Interaction
- Extended Reality
- Expert Systems
- Personalized Medicine
- Blog reading automatically input into our brain
You’ll have to read the full article to appreciate #10 🙂
September 28, 2007
Another top list making the rounds of the web. This one is from ABC News:
3. The New Space Race: Private Tourism
4. OLPC: Public vs. Private Technology
5. Vizio (Plasma TV)
6. HD Movies on your computer
7. Mobile Cell Phone Payments
8. Google Apps
9. Rough and Tumble Gadgets
10. Better Solar Power